[Qt-creator] Why QtC does not use QDockWidget for most tool-panel

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 19:00:47 CEST 2016

Hunger Tobias wrote:

> Everyone has less screen space for the important stuff. I routinely demo Qt
> Creator on screens with 1024x768 pixels. Try that with the competition that
> wastes screen space drawing drag handles around everything:-)

Funny, QtC is hardly the most efficient with screen real-estate on OS X, with
the standard Mac theme (where it uses Lucida Sans 13 for almost everything) O:-)

> You will also get lots of people wasting time on fiddling with the UI instead
> of getting their work done.

So? I've been skimming the thread, but IMHO it's a gain if additional
configurability lets even a few percent of users adapt a tool to their workflow
and be more efficient with it. That doesn't mean *everything* has to be
configurable, of course, but it shouldn't be a concern for IDE developers that
users might spend a rainy Sunday afternoon discovering how well they can code
when everything is displayed using Symbol and Dingbats in 72 points, using
bright red on dark purple ;)

Either way, there is 1 kind of widget that I'd like to see as a dockable: the
one that now is a simple drop-down list containing the open files. I'd love to
be able to turn that into something that could take the form of a side-panel
showing a permanent view of the files open in the associated window - a view
that's show in addition to the project view (or whatever else that widget
shows). Let the entries show the file's full path, possibly with the project
they belong to when the mouse hovers over them, and you have what I'd think
would be a very useful, space-efficient (more so than tabs) and economical tool
to navigate quickly between files. Esp. if you can rearrange file order too.

R.