[Qt-creator] Generating QtCreator cmake project for given CMakeLists.txt from command line

Hunger Tobias Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 15 09:59:38 CEST 2016

On Do, 2016-04-14 at 18:19 +0200, René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> I'm not sure if I really grasped everything outlined in the OP, but I think I
> have a similar question for a comparable workflow that doesn't involve ROS or
> catkin.
> It does involve a distribution/packaging system that runs cmake (and make) in
>> tightly controlled environment and with highly specific commandline options.
> When developing (or adapting) software in the context of that system it is
> often
> useful to be able to open a work directory (containing directories with the
> [patched] source and an out-of-tree build directory) in an IDE, possibly even
> (re)building parts of the code.
>
> It is trivial to let the system have cmake use the "CodeBlocks - Unix
> Makefiles"
> generator, but apparently that is not enough to let Qt Creator reuse the
> configured build directory without re-running cmake. It is easy enough to re-
> run
> the correct configure command if QtC calls cmake only once, on the initial
> import. It's a different story if it keeps doing this each time a project is
> (re)opened.
>
> Is there a way to prevent QtC from re-running cmake each time it feels like
> doing so?

Creator will rerun CMake whenever it feels like doing so, because that is the
only way to get up-to-date information on the project. CMake is not very
forthcoming with information:-/

Creator will keep the configuration unless at least one of these conditions is
met:

* The generator (ninja/make/etc.) used to set up a build directory does not
match up with the one used by the selected Kit.

* The cmake command that was run to set up a build directory is not the one
configured for the selected Kit.

Creator no longer clears the cache if the Extra Generator "CodeBlocks" is
missing.

I do want to have proper "Import build directory" support for the next version.
That should then set up a matching kit for a build directory.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Tuula Haataja Sitz der Gesellschaft: