[Qt-creator] Adding custom data formatter for LLDB

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Fri Apr 22 21:46:43 CEST 2016

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 09:41:08AM -0400, Mike Jackson wrote:
> Is there a way to get Creator to accept a custom LLDB formatter for
> one of our classes?

No(t yet).  Not because it's not possible, but because nobody has asked
for it yet.

I haven't looked at it, but the code to bridge between Creator's own and
GDB's pretty printers is about 30 lines of Python, I wouldn't expect
LLDB to take significantly more than that.

> We have a class that uses the typical Qt style
> PIMPL design pattern and during debugging there is no way to actually
> see the values in the object. We have one we use with Xcode but that
> does not seem to work for Creator or we do not have it installed
> correctly.

Create a report on bugreports.qt-project.org so this is not
forgotten.

I usually suggest to create "real" Qt Creator pretty printers
to benefit of goodies like having user selectable display variants,
portability between GDB and LLDB etc, but since you are only interested
in LLDB making Qt Creator accept LLDB pretty printers should be
the lesser effort.

Andre'