[Qt-creator] Bundling clang (for code model) with qt-creator package

Andrzej Telszewski atelszewski at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 03:05:26 CEST 2016

Hi,

As mentioned here:
https://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/08/25/qt-creator-4-1-0-released/ it might
be valuable to use clang 3.8.1 with Qt Creator 4.1.0.

But my system's llvm package is at version 3.8.0 and will stay like that
for quite some time.

As I don't want to update the system's llvm, I would like to package
version 3.8.1 of llvm together with qt-creator, for the purpose of Code
Model (is there anything else internal to Qt Creator that uses llvm?).

I see two solutions:
1. Create separate package for llvm, something like "qt-creator-llvm"
that installs under non-system wide directory and then, when building Qt
Creator, adjust LLVM_INSTALL_DIR to point to that directory.
2. Create single package containing both llvm and Qt Creator.

Solution 1) is straightforward, in that I can first build and install
qt-creator-llvm and then build and install qt-creator.

Solution 2) requires that I can somehow point the qt-creator
LLVM_INSTALL_DIR to the temporary directory where the llvm has been
installed for the purpose of packaging. But once the packaging has been
finished, LLVM_INSTALL_DIR has to point to a different directory,
relative to the package installation directory and not package creation
directory.

I would much preferred the second solution.
So the question is: is it possible?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Telszewski