[Qt-creator] Best workflow to manage pre-configured version

Marco Piccolino marco.a.piccolino at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:22:17 CEST 2016

Hello!

Given that:

- We need to ship a pre-configured version of QC to support our SDK.
- We only need a subset of what QC provides out of the box, and the
customization we want seems to be achievable by just changing the "share"
configuration (ini, xml etc.)
- We don't need to always provide the latest version of Creator
- The SDK does not need Qt right now, but it will in the near future
- Currently supported projects will be written in C and for this reason we
will most likely want to only support Cmake, at least for the time being

Given this premise, what is the best workflow to maintain such a custom
version of Creator?

Here are two options I came up with and would like to have any feedback on
their maintainability and better alternatives, especially in the light that
now pre-compiled Creator is shipped with an installer, as per recent
discussion here:

WORKFLOW 1

1 - fork/clone QC's repo to my-qc repo
2 - define QC version we want to use (good candidate seems upcoming 4.1
because of improved CMake support)
3 - create new branch (my-qc_4.1) in myQC repo from selected branch (4.1)
4 - create a set of scripts in separate repo (my-qc-scripts) that makes all
modifications we want to "shared" folder in my-qc_4.1
5 - run my-qc-scripts on my-qc_4.1
6 - build from my-qc 4.1
7 - distribute the custom builds (without installer?)

An alternative to this for me would be to:

WORKFLOW 2

1 - take QC pre-built packages for the platforms we want to support
2 - create a repo in their respective "share" folders
3 - create my-qc-scripts that modify the "share" folders (possibly
platform-specific)
4 - run my-qc-scripts on the "share" folders of the prebuilt versions
5 - distribute the pre-built versions with custom "share" folder

The second options avoids having to compile custom builds but seems a bit
dirtier and less maintainable, especially in the long run.

Any input is highly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Marco Piccolino