[Qt-creator] CMake daemon for user tools

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 00:55:46 CET 2016

Dominik Haumann wrote:

> 1. Wouldn't it make sense you have a developer sprint ASAP for this?

Yes totally! I had the same idea as many people who could be interested are
in Berlin or can get there easily.

I'm not aware of there ever having been a developer sprint for cmake
(particularly for community/non-Kitware employees). It's just not part of
the development culture/community of cmake the way it is for KDE.

If there are interested participants I would try to organize one in Berlin
making use of KDE infrastructure like sprints.kde.org.

> 2. Reading about this deamon approach, rtags comes to my mind:

Interesting:

 https://github.com/Andersbakken/rtags

I could imagine it having at least solve similar problems which we could
learn from. Other prior art includes

* https://github.com/Valloric/YouCompleteMe
  (which is the result of the 'clang server' design I linked to
  previously:
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/12658/focus=13004)

* vim netbeans: http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/netbeans.html

>    the good
>    thing is, even for newer C/C++ revisions (C++17 etc), if rtags is
>    adapted, things will just work on the client side

Yes, the cmake daemon has a similar design principle that clients don't need
to store a list of (version specific) information such as what commands and
properties are built into cmake. A newer version of cmake with newer
commands and properties then still gets ideal code completion.

> Given this background, I can see a lot of benefits in a cmake deamon
> that provides all sorts of infos...

Yep! I have already proven the concept by creating a cmake project/debugger
plugin for kate.

Thanks,

Steve.