[Qt-creator] License update! Please check license template!

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sat Jan 16 16:08:58 CET 2016

Am 16.01.2016 um 14:30 schrieb Konstantin Tokarev:

> 16.01.2016, 15:21, "Hunger Tobias" <Tobias.Hunger at theqtcompany.com>:
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I was not involved in the agreement between the Free Qt Foundation and the Qt Company, so I can not comment in any meaningful way, sorry. Neither have I insight in our sales numbers, so I can not comment on the effect of GPL or LGPL on actual sales figures either.
>>
>> Please consider to comment on the blog post announcing the change: You are more likely to contact people driving this change there. This is basically just our out-of-the-way technical mailing list.
>>
>> I *personally* welcome the outcome very much: We get to provide more free software and I agree with the idea of software freedom as expressed by the GPL. It also makes my work-live much easier as I will have less repositories to juggle once the code moved into the public repository.
>
> There are actually two separate license change events here:
>
> 1. Proprietary plugins were relicensed under GPL. I believe that everyone here agrees that this is a positive change that should be highly appreciated.

I hope nothing useful will be abandoned because of the change.

> 2. Exisiting code base (including core components) was relicensed to much more restrictive license. I *personally* see this as a negative change, however I guess it as a necessary precondition for point #1 to happen.

But who uses internal QtCreator libraries in his product? This would be
the usecase for LGPL. But QtCreator is a all-or-nothing app not a
node.js, so GPL is here maybe really better.

> I know there is a third party that was (is?) trying to make a commercial IDE based on Qt Creator with value added components. Their chief didn't want to allow developers to act as a part of community, he wanted to just grab the sources, cripple them and sell as their own product. I am happy that this license change will drive away such people. But I'm concerned that it will also drive away more well-intentioned contributors having some commercial interest.

I assume you talk about http://www.pathscale.com/DogFood
And nothing was contributed back, very sad.