[Qt-creator] [cmake-developers] CMake daemon for user tools

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Jan 13 14:41:18 CET 2016

On 01/12/2016 05:36 PM, Milian Wolff wrote:
> Also, while above you say there are two orthogonal features (which is
> correct), there is an important fact that has not yet been stressed enough:
>
> The daemon approach of Stephen allows for the implementation of both. And both
> of these features are crucial and important to have.
[snip]
On 01/12/2016 03:24 PM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Yes. I count 3 orthogonal ways an IDE and cmake could 'interface':
[snip]
> a daemon and a declarative spec for the sources covers all three.
[snip]
> I can do development, but it would have to be as part of a collaborative
> effort and collaborative future maintenance.
[snip]
> Yes. I'm trying to generate interest in people who are capable of joining
> the effort, and interested in doing so. It is difficult :).

I think the responses in this thread have indicated there is interest
in working toward the full daemon approach.  Perhaps discussion should
now proceed on the daemon protocol design over in the thread Tobias
started on cmake-developers:

 cmake daemon mode protocol
 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/15424

Meanwhile some discussion of a possible declarative spec has started here:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/15339/focus=15374

-Brad