[Qt-creator] [Development] [OS X] Dock icon progress widget

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 12:18:13 CEST 2016

On Mittwoch, 22. Juni 2016 10:08:03 CEST Eike Ziller wrote:
> > On Jun 22, 2016, at 11:50 AM, Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:

> >> OK then :)
> >>
> >> I've, erm, borrowed some code from Qt Creator to add a Dock icon
> >> progressbar to KDevelop, adding a minimal API (only static methods as an
> >> app has only a single Dock icon) as well as a poor man's indeterminate
> >> mode. The code is still under review
> >> (https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/128188) so I wonder if I shouldn't
> >> instead by proposing it as a QtMacExtras addition.
> >>
> >> What do you think? Any suggestions how to integrate this into
> >> QtMacExtras,
> >> as a standalone class or as additional QtMac methods?
> >
> > Windows also has taskbar progress. Not sure about KDE/Linux.
>
> Qt Creator has an implementation for windows too
> http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/src/plugins/coreplugin
> /progressmanager/progressmanager_win.cpp
>
> Nobody of us found a sensible way to do something similar on various Linux
> desktops though.

The closest thing on Linux is probably the Unity Launcher API. I only know it
because Plasma started to support it (read: use it) in Plasma 5.6.

More information here:
  http://blog.broulik.de/2016/01/on-being-more-convenient/
  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Unity/LauncherAPI

A platform agnostic wrapper for all this would be indeed great to have!

Cheers,
Kevin