[Qt-creator] Linguist

Ziller Eike Eike.Ziller at theqtcompany.com
Fri Mar 11 09:13:52 CET 2016

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 7:22 PM, Coda Highland <chighland at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think his problem (and mine) is that it should be under Tools > External > Linguist. Right now your only two options are lupdate and lrelease. The GUI should be invokable from that last menu.
>>
>> You can add it yourself.
>>
>> Click on Tools / External / Configure...
>>
>> Add a "Linguist" entry running
>> %{CurrentProject:QT_INSTALL_BINS}\linguist.exe on Windows or
>> %{CurrentProject:QT_INSTALL_BINS}/linguist.exe on Linux.
>>
>> If the ts files are in the project directory, you may also want to set
>> the "Working directory" to %{CurrentProject:Path}. With this trick,
>> Linguist will directly show the directory with the ts files when you
>> click on File / Open.
>>
>> Frederic
>
> The question is why it's not there by default.

My question is more why the lrelease and lupdate items are in Tools > External, and not in the context menu for .pro files ;)
But since I added them there..... I know that it was mostly as an example for the external tools, and how they can get access to state in Qt Creator (the current project in this case).
Just opening Linguist is not there, because you can either open it with a .ts file directly, or use whatever OS means you have to open applications (e.g. Spotlight on OS X, Start menu search on Windows, and the search thingy in Ubuntu, all sound like a much quicker and more comfortable way than navigating through menus to Tools > External > Linguist > Open Linguist).
I’m not against having it there though, so feel free to upload a change.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller, Principle Software Engineer - The Qt Company GmbH