[Qt-creator] Upcoming Features?

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Tue Oct 25 20:04:09 CEST 2016

I was looking at what's in store for 4.2, and it looks like the diffing will be a great addition.
And I'd like to suggest QTCREATORBUG-16925 for inclusion. It seems like an easy addition?

A while back, I had an idea for a general purpose code editor feature, but thought it had to be implemented separately. But with the addition of diffing to Creator, and it being my main IDE, it seems that maybe we can try it out in Creator? The idea is simple, when a commit happens in the git repo for the code I'm working on, that I can be shown a preview of the merged source (like it was edited outside the editor) I can then choose to instantly merge it, or ignore it. I am not sure if I should have to accept all the changes or just some... I think all is the way to go. The whole point of this being that merging often reduces conflicts and results in an easier merge process. If we can move it to real-time, we can get it up to the point where there will almost never be a merge conflict. With you can give real-time feedback as to what is being checked in so you can avoid breaking changes. It also serves as a mini-code review. I have a JR dev who sometimes does stuff inefficiently/incorrectly. With this I can correct him in one commit.

I think it would be an easy addition after the diff stuff is in?