[Qt-creator] QtCreator quick save mode?

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at taschenorakel.de
Wed Sep 28 17:07:04 CEST 2016

Am 27.09.2016 um 11:59 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 04:48:26AM +0300, Ursache Vladimir wrote:
>> The problem here I think is that an option without fsync is not
>> welcome,
>>
> the thing is that you totally want it until a system crash or power
> outage eats your files. it's not that just the new contents are not
> saved - your pre-existing files are *gone*. that may be quite annoying
> even when you use version control.

<anecdotal>
Using a version control system doesn't protect you from data loss.
Apparently even git's object index isn't entirely immune to sudden power
losses. A failing battery killed one of my local repos copies this year
taking with it all changes not pushed yet.
</anecdotal>

> come to think of it, it would be acceptable to provide non-fsync mode if
> the original file was preserved - i.e., if there was a saving mode which
> renames the old file to <file><your-favorite-backup-file-extension-here>
> rather than just replacing it.

At least ext4 doesn't give such guarantees.
AFAIK you also can produce zero sized files with that approach.

Ciao,
Mathias