[Qt-creator] Where to install Ninja on macOS Sierra (10.12)

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Fri Apr 7 13:06:03 CEST 2017

Hi Mike,

I am not much of an Apple user, so I hope I do not make a fool out of myself by
trying to answer:

Creator should not default to ninja unless it sees a "ninja" binary in PATH.

On Thu, 2017-04-06 at 12:42 -0400, Mike Jackson wrote:
> What is the recommended location to install ninja on macOS Sierra so
> that QtCreator can find it? We tried the usual /usr/local/bin but
> QtCreator does not seem to find it there.
>
> Note: putting it in /usr/bin or /bin is NOT a correct answer since SIP
> is on by default and will not allow it.

Add the directory with Ninja to PATH? Does that work?

Creator will call "cmake --build .". CMake needs to find ninja somehow. From
what I see in the manual CMake should find anything in PATH, but I got a report
that this is apparently not the case on Macs.

> Could QtCreator ship with a Ninja in its "Resources" directory or is
> there some preference setting (like the CMake path) that we are missing?

No, there is no special setting.

I would love to ship more development tools with Qt Creator (e.g. cmake, ninja,
git) and have them optionally installed along with the IDE. But this is not my
call to make, no idea whether or not we will do so.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin, Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, HRB 144331 B