[Qt-creator] Fw: more granular deployment from cmake project?

Tobias Hunger Tobias.Hunger at qt.io
Thu Dec 7 15:04:25 CET 2017

Sorry, I forgot to CC the list:

Hi Rich,

> I was wondering if it would be possible to change the
> functionality of Qt Creator.

Of course it is possible to change functionality in Qt Creator!

> Currently, in the Deployment settings, there is no way to
> avoid deploying every target that is created in a CMake
> project. For example, if I create an executable and a bunch
> of unit tests - all of those targets are deployed. If one of the
> targets has not been built, then I am not allowed to debug
> the others, because the deploy step requires every target
> to be deployed.

That is correct.

> My thought was that the deployment would be perhaps
> tied to what is selected in the lower-left side in Qt Creator -
> just above the Play green triangle.  If you have selected
> Debug under Build and under Run have selected one of
> the targets for the remote device, then the deployment
> would key off of that.  Or - make it possible to select which
> target(s) to deploy similar to how you can choose which
> targets to build in the Project settings via the
> checkboxes available in Build Steps.

Please file a suggestion in the bug tracker: Mails tend to be forgotten as new mails come in, but bugs are tracked forever:-)

I am not sure this can be done reliably with cmake, but I agree that this would be a nice feature.

Best Regards,
Tobias

--
Tobias Hunger, Senior Software Engineer | The Qt Company
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho. Sitz der