[Qt-creator] How to make QtCreator to connect to a remote device (generic linux) with X forwarding enabled `ssh -X`?

Konstantin Tokarev annulen at yandex.ru
Mon Dec 18 11:24:41 CET 2017

18.12.2017, 12:56, "Иван Кувалдин" <i.kyb at ya.ru>:
> Hello.
>
> I develop a cross-platform Qt application with GUI. It works fine on host system in both x32 and x64 variants. Next is to deploy the application on a remote i386 host. It works fine there too. But when I run the app on the remote host through QtCreator, it fails to connect to a display, because it does not exist. The solution is to access to remote host with `-X` option. Definitely. This way it opens window(s) on a local (development) machine.
>
> How to explain QtCreator->Tools->Devices module to connect via `ssh -X`?!
> I believe there is a hidden configuration option in some file, and no need to recompile.
> Thanks in advance.

Note that Qt Creator does not use system ssh client for running remote processes,
but uses internal SSH client library built on top of Botan. So it's not possible to pass
arbitrary arguments of openssh client to some magic place and get its behavior.

Advice with setting DISPLAY variable seems to be closer to what this feature was
originally meant to do: run application on remote device in the same way as it would be
run there normally. X11 forwarding runs application remotely but using your local X server
to display it.

> Related Questions:
>  0. https://forum.qt.io/topic/86047/how-to-make-qtcreator-to-connect-to-a-remote-device-generic-linux-with-x-forwarding-enabled-ssh-x
>  1. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47838027/how-to-remotely-debug-graphic-application-with-qtcreator