[Qt-creator] QTCreator + CMAKE Project View.

Michael Jackson mike.jackson at bluequartz.net
Mon Jul 3 20:50:09 CEST 2017

Hello Tobias,
     As far as the Project View in QtCreator goes I am including a
screen shot comparing QtCreator with VS2015 for the exact same
project(solution) and showing the same Target/Project. First things
first up front, our CMake based project uses CMake's "Solution Folder"
to organize the Visual Studio sub-projects in a reasonable form
otherwise it is very cluttered, maybe as much as QtCreator is now. With
that out of the way a few things to note in the screen shot:

The CMake predefined targets are all in a few top level "sub-folders"
which are easy to get to. Not sure what the exact complaint from other
users were but I would love to find out their use case.

Next, I am purposefully showing the same sub project that we tend to
work on everyday. In Visual Studio getting to it by drilling down
through the hierarchy is very quick as it is only 3 levels deep. That
same target in QtCreator is 6 levels deep and the first few times I
really had to go looking for that target to find it. I became more
dependent on "Command-K" and just typing a file from the target in order
to reveal it in the side bar Project View.

Does Creator get the "Solution Folder" property back from CMake-Server?
would it be possible to honor those settings in QtCreator (I know, lots
of work with that request). That might go a long way to allowing
developers "customize" how QtCreator shows the project? If
SOLUTION_FOLDER is not used then just do what you are doing now (Maybe
with a bit of cleanup) but if they specify SOLUTION_FOLDER then honor
those organizations for their codes?

I know when I found out about SOLUTION_FOLDER in CMake I spent a day
just organizing our codes so that our Visual Studio developers didn't do
crazy trying to navigate our project. (I'll include a 2nd screen shot of
our project WITHOUT Solution Folders active). While all targets are
listed in alphabetical order that list is really long (As you can tell
from the scroll bar).

Maybe some of this helps for the next version of QtCreator. Thanks for
listening

--
Mike Jackson