[Qt-creator] Clang code model still borked?

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Jul 11 13:56:03 CEST 2017

> On Jul 11, 2017, at 13:10, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/07/17 09:29, Eike Ziller wrote:
>>> On Jul 10, 2017, at 18:39, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wanted to give the Clang code model a try again (it was not very useful the last time I tried.) With the latest Qt Creator version (4.3.1), I get this when auto-completing ctor arguments:
>>>
>>>  http://i.imgur.com/SERKkdW.png
>>>
>>> Which is obviously not useful at all.
>>>
>>> Is the Clang model still considered experimental?
>> That is https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-14882 which will be fixed in 4.4
>> Br, Eike
>
> So I guess the answer is "yes", Clang model is not supposed to be used yet.

Concluding that from a single bug is strange.

But, we are not yet confident enough to enable it by default. Especially on Windows there are still some issues, e.g. with file locking in libclang itself. We are still working on fixing these kind of issues (partially by fixing/patching libclang itself).
That said, there are many users who successfully use the Clang code model in day to day work (including me).
One could say that you are supposed to use it, if it works well (enough) for you.
Also, in the old / "built-in" code model there are bugs (especially wrt templates and C++1x) which will not be fixed there, and are not present in the Clang code model.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13
D-12489 Berlin
eike.ziller at qt.io
http://qt.io
Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Mika Harjuaho