[Qt-creator] SyntaxHighlighting + Bison/FLex

JeremY Larrieu adrenalinedj at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 07:29:35 CET 2017

Hello,

I'm working on making a plugin to support a specific language: Anubis.

I've started the highlighting part and I saw that QtCreator is making
syntax highlighting line by line instead of making it "globally" for the
whole file.

I just wanna know, how can I use the Bison/Flex files, used to check syntax
for Anubis language, to make syntax highlighting in QtCreator.
Knowing that most of the tokens declared in the Flex file can be multiline,
making a lexer, working line by line, able to detect those tokens is hard
and the code is too "verbose".

I've tried to adapt what I've found in Bison/Flex files to make a syntax
highlighter, but it's really painful and it makes further updates harder.
If I was able to apply highlighting on the whole file (not line by line),
it were simpler and I could use it to make some other functionalities at
the same time: code completion, code analysis, symbol detection, ...

Do you have an idea on how I can make syntax highlighting without rewriting
a full lexer ?

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy