[Qt-creator] QtCreator 4.3/4.4 + CMake likes to "rebuild" my project, a lot.

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 28 00:11:28 CEST 2017

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 3:58 PM, Michael Jackson
<mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
> I have seen this problem more than a few times and with a 45 minute build time for our project it is starting to get in the way. Our project is CMake based (I am using CMake 3.8 or 3.9 depending on the particular workstation that I am using at the time) and also uses Qt 5.9.1 64 bit. All the code is C++. What will happen is that I load the project, QtCreator properly configures for the build (Debug) and I build the project successfully. I quit QtCreator. Relaunch QtCreator and when I click Debug for our application QtCreator will pretty much rebuild the entire project. NOTHING changed between when I last built, quit QtCreator and relaunched QtCreator. I use ninja as the build tool.

When you open the project, then cmake will go through the
configure/generate steps again. Is that what you are referring to?
That is how cmake wants this to be handled, so there is nothing I can
do there.

Or does the actual build rebuild huge parts of the project? That could
be triggered by cmake configur/generate mentioned above: Do you create
some central header file or something from cmake? That would be a bug
that I'd need to file with upstream cmake:-/

Best Regards,
Tobias