[Qt-creator] How to use qbs AutotestRunner from QtCreator?

Budde, Jan JBudde at huth.org
Mon Apr 23 15:02:54 CEST 2018

Hi,

> > I'm learning qbs using QtCreator 4.6.0. I have created a simple
> > example project consisting of a library, a unit test and a sample
> > application as sub-projects. I have marked the unit test C++
> > application as being of type "autotest" (as explained in the qbs
> > documentation for AutotestRunner). I would like to use
> > AutotestRunner in my base qbs file to have all unit tests executed as
> > part of every build.
> >
> > The QtCreator "Project" page for my project only shows settings for my
> > two executables (app, unit tests). How can I add the "virtual" product
> > "autotest-runner" to run all of the projects unittests?

> The AutotestRunner is not an application, so Qt Creator will not set up a run configuration for it. Instead, it is a special build target (just like "make check"). In qbs, this maps to a > product. Therefore, locate the autotest runner in the Projects tree, open the context menu by right-clicking on it, and press "Build". This will run all your autotests.
> Alternatively, you could make use of Qt Creator's autotest plugin:
> http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-autotest.html#building-and-running-tests

I have seen the plugin, but so far I have been using Boost.Test for my projects, which doesn't seem to be supported. Maybe I'll have a look at Google Test.

> > Or even
> > better, how can I have the autotest-runner run automatically every
> > time I build the project from QtCreator?

> That is a very commendable goal to have, though let's see how long you will keep up that practice once your autotests become a little longer-running...

:-) It worked well on my previous, "medium sized" qmake-based project. But you are right: With longer running tests this quickly becomes impractical.

> Anyway, you achieve that by setting the "builtByDefault" property to true in your AutotestRunner product.

Thank you, Christian! You have been very helpful!

  Jan