[Qt-creator] How to build Qt Creator documentation from the sources

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed Aug 8 08:57:45 CEST 2018

> On 8. Aug 2018, at 05:49, Szyk Cech <szykcech at spoko.pl> wrote:
>
> I added qtcreator-dev.qch  qtcreator.qch manually to the Qt Assistant. And nothing found except "Extending Qt Creator Manual" chapter. IMO it is little for over 8MB compressed documentation files... So please answer to my question... Is there something I missed? or: Is this chapter cover every topics related to the Qt Creator code documentation?

You can have a look at the online copy of the generated “developer” documentation here:
https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qtcreator-extending/extending-index.html

“Extending Qt Creator Manual” is the top-level heading for that documentation, yes.
The code documentation that we have is not very extensive.

There is a bit of documentation on the plugin mechanism in general, like what the plugin meta data consists of for specifying version numbers, dependencies, optional dependencies etc:
https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qtcreator-extending/plugin-meta-data.html
and about the plugin life cycle (startup, shutdown) https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qtcreator-extending/plugin-lifecycle.html

There is also some generated API documentation at https://doc-snapshots.qt.io/qtcreator-extending/qtcreator-api.html
but there are only few classes with an actual useful amount of documentation.

Br, Eike

> W dniu 07.08.2018 o 21:38, Artur Shepilko pisze:
>>> /home/szyk/!-ściągnięte/build-qtcreator-Desktop_Qt_5_9_6_GCC_64bit-Release/share/doc/qtcreator/qtcreator-dev.qch
>>>
>>> Is suppose to expose only one document in table of content named: "Extending
>>> Qt Creator Manual"?!?
>>>
>> I'm not sure what docs you're updating, but  as long as they fit into
>> the existing qtcreator doc hierarchy, the changes will be picked up
>> and included in the resulting .qch files with updated links and TOC:
>>
>> ls share/doc/qtcreator/

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH