[Qt-creator] about the clang parser backend

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 10:04:54 CET 2018

Hi,

I've been looking with a bit of envy at Qt Creator's out-of-process clang-based parser architecture, which would be very nice to have in KDevelop too. Or maybe I should say "could be" because I don't use Creator enough to know for sure :)

One advantage I see for using a server/client backend approach instead of calling into libclang directly is that several IDE instances (sessions) could share the same server, thus decreasing memory overhead (clang can be quite memory hungry). Is there a technical reason why Creator doesn't do this but instead starts session-specific backends(s)?

Thanks,
R.