[Qt-creator] C++ Code Style and empty lines

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Fri Feb 16 09:18:58 CET 2018

>>> I know about this, I even talk about this in my email.
>>>
>>> My concern is about the auto indent function (Right Click >
>>> Auto-indent Selection)
>>

>> If you don't save the file after auto-indenting it, then how did you end up
>> with spaces in empty lines unless you didn't enable cleanup-on-save?
>
> Again, I am not asking about the "cleanup on save" feature.
> And I never said I ended up with spaces on empty lines *after* saving the file.
>
> I am asking if there is a way to configure the auto-indent feature so
> that it does not
> generate extra spaces on empty lines.

It should definitely not add extra spaces on empty lines. That sounds very much like a bug to me. Probably one that no one found because of the clean-on-save feature, but still.
Please --> https://bugreports.qt.io

Br, Eike

> The fact that the "cleanup on save" feature, when enabled (with or
> without the clean indent option
> checked), needs to clean up what the auto indent feature just did,
> just proves that as-is
> the auto-indent feature is bugged (if not configurable).
>
> I do not expect the auto-indent feature to add whitespaces that need
> to be cleaned.
> I would rather expect the "cleanup on save" and auto indent features to produce,
> or at least try to produce, the same result.

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Rudower Chaussee 13