[Qt-creator] [Development] Requesting repository for telemetry plugin in Qt Creator

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 11:22:02 CET 2018

Hi Pasi,

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Pasi Keränen <pasi.keranen at qt.io> wrote:
<snip>
> I object to using “Spyware” term in this context. Spyware is SW that does
> things behind your back.

I noticed that my mail could be read in the way you read it pretty
much right after sending it. I need to apologize for expressing myself
so poorly!

What I meant to say that it is possible to write a spyware plugin
(following pretty much exactly what you lay out below) for creator or
any one Qt application that will collect basically everything about a
user and to feed that into a database on the internet somewhere in a
couple of weeks. On the other hand the task of writing a framework
that does anonymized data collection that follows all the relevant
data protection laws and standards and that pushes it to a server that
is easy to manage and set up is an entirely different scope. I wanted
to find out where our discussion is between these two poles.

I did not intend to imply that what we are discussing here is spyware.

> Siphons contact information, user account info etc.
> without telling you. We’re NOT talking about such use cases here! I don’t
> think anyone in The Qt Company wants to do such things. From what I hear the
> intention is to track certain things in an open, transparent manner,
> respecting the communitys clear wish to keep things in the open and for the
> benefit of our end users.

I am sorry for giving the impression that I thought anybody here is
considering spyware. That was not my intention and I want to apologize
to anybody that got that impression.

<snip>

Best Regards,
Tobias