[Qt-creator] prepare-commit-msg and commit-msg hooks

Seth Raymond seth.c.raymond at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 17:23:53 CET 2018

> yes. for example, a conscientious committer will want to revise the file
> list when during writing the commit message they notice that the commit
> is non-atomic. happens to me all the time.

Would a "back"/"cancel" button at the commit message window that
returns you to the file selection window be sufficient? I'm not
particularly familiar with git gui, I've only ever used git out of the
terminal (and am now learning Qt Creator's git plugin). Invoking git
via the terminal is a series process, so obviously the process in the
GUI could be done in series. You lose an aspect of convenience for the
sake of "proper" functionality. But I'm not the one who makes those
decisions; I just wanted to report a deficiency I saw and see if there
were any known workarounds.

Our team is just skipping the Creator git plugin altogether and will
be using git via the terminal/preferred GUI that works with the hooks
we've written.

> fwiw, qtc is imo still inferior to git gui regarding fine-grained
> commits - the diff view and chunk-level staging are kinda hidden, and
> line-wise staging apparently isn't there at all.
> in fact, the selective staging context menu is outright broken in 4.5 -
> there is no indication which actions make sense, and there are
> duplicated actions.

Sounds to me like I'm not the only person having problems with the
plugin. Hopefully some extra functionality will be added in the future
to make the plugin line up better with git tools already in place
elsewhere. Creator is an *integrated* development environment, after
all...