[Qt-creator] prepare-commit-msg and commit-msg hooks

André Hartmann andre.hartmann at iseg-hv.de
Wed Jan 10 08:03:28 CET 2018

Am 09.01.2018 um 17:23 schrieb Seth Raymond:
>> yes. for example, a conscientious committer will want to revise the file
>> list when during writing the commit message they notice that the commit
>> is non-atomic. happens to me all the time.
>
> Would a "back"/"cancel" button at the commit message window that
> returns you to the file selection window be sufficient?

I'm quite sure that would break my workflow. And in all the yars I'm
working with Creator, you're the first one that had such a requirement.

>  I'm not particularly familiar with git gui, I've only ever used git > out of the terminal (and am now learning Qt Creator's git plugin).

> Invoking git via the terminal is a series process, so obviously
> the process in the GUI could be done in series.

I don't think so. Well, you can stage files also in Creator before
commiting; but I think most people will just open the commit dialog
and work from there. But if you have a suggestion how this "new way of
commiting in series" could look like, you're welcome to present.

> You lose an aspect of convenience for the
> sake of "proper" functionality. But I'm not the one who makes those
> decisions; I just wanted to report a deficiency I saw and see if there
> were any known workarounds.
>
> Our team is just skipping the Creator git plugin altogether and will
> be using git via the terminal/preferred GUI that works with the hooks
> we've written.

Would you tell us which "preferred GUI" allows you to do that?

>> fwiw, qtc is imo still inferior to git gui regarding fine-grained
>> commits - the diff view and chunk-level staging are kinda hidden, and
>> line-wise staging apparently isn't there at all.
>> in fact, the selective staging context menu is outright broken in 4.5 -
>> there is no indication which actions make sense, and there are
>> duplicated actions.
>
> Sounds to me like I'm not the only person having problems with the
> plugin. Hopefully some extra functionality will be added in the future
> to make the plugin line up better with git tools already in place
> elsewhere. Creator is an *integrated* development environment, after
> all...

Come on, Creators Git integration is the best I have seen so far. The
only thing I miss, is an integrated Merge tool...

Regards,
André

> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 9:56 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen
> <oswald.buddenhagen at qt.io> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 09:03:14AM -0500, Seth Raymond wrote:
>>> Is there a strong reason to keep the process in its current,
>>> parallelized state?
>>>
>> yes. for example, a conscientious committer will want to revise the file
>> list when during writing the commit message they notice that the commit
>> is non-atomic. happens to me all the time.
>>
>> fwiw, qtc is imo still inferior to git gui regarding fine-grained
>> commits - the diff view and chunk-level staging are kinda hidden, and
>> line-wise staging apparently isn't there at all.
>> in fact, the selective staging context menu is outright broken in 4.5 -
>> there is no indication which actions make sense, and there are
>> duplicated actions.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) André Hartmann
Softwareentwicklung / Software Development

E-Mail: andre.hartmannh at iseg-hv.de | Tel: +49 351 26996-43 | Fax: +49
351 26996-21

iseg Spezialelektronik GmbH - HIGH VOLTAGE. EXACTLY.
iseg-hv.de | iseg-hv.com | download.iseg-hv.com

Bautzner Landstr. 23, 01454 Radeberg / Rossendorf, Germany
Geschäftsführer / Managing directors: Dr. Frank Gleisberg, Dr. Joachim
Pöthig
Amtsgericht / Lower district court: Dresden HRB 16250
Umsatzsteuer-Id: / VAT-ID: DE812508942

News / Information
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/control#isegControl2 isegControl2 -
Unified Control Software
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/detail/EHS EHS FLEX - Customize and keep
the price
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/detail/EHS EHS STACK - Perfect for GEM
Detectors
https://iseg-hv.com/files/iseg-high-voltage-power-supplies.pdf NEW!
Product catalog 2017 / 2018 released
https://iseg-hv.com/en/products/detail/NHR NHR - NIM HV-Supply with
reversible polarity

Links
https://www.linkedin.com/company/12726924 iseg on LINKEDIN | Let's stay
connected!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5AL-ZgOqSim_1gYNnndyzQ iseg on YOUTUBE
| Tutorials and more ...
https://www.twitter.com/iseg_hv iseg on TWITTER | please follow!
https://iseg-hv.com/files/iseg-high-voltage-power-supplies.pdf iseg
CATALOG | download product catalog as PDF
http://download.iseg-hv.com/ iseg DOWNLOADS | manuals, software,
firmware and more...

Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige
Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren
Sie bitte sofort den Absender und
Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht
gestattet.

you are not the intended recipient
(or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender
immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in
this e-mail is strictly forbidden.