[Qt-creator] Debugging code built with SDCC

Márton Miklós martonmiklosqdev at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 14:47:12 CEST 2018

Hello all,

I am trying to put together a toolchain for a STM8 (bare metal) target
based on QtCreator, openOCD, SDCC and GDB.

I am proceeding great so far: the debugging of the target works, but I only
able to debug the code at assembly level (even when the Debug menu ->
Operate by instruction is unchecked).

I am using the following command to build the elf file:

sdcc -lstm8 -mstm8 blinky.c --out-fmt-elf --all-callee-saves --debug
--verbose --stack-auto --fverbose-asm  --float-reent --no-peep

If I debug it separately from QtCreator with GDB it shows the C code when
it stops at the breakpoint for e.g.

Here is the output of the debugger log pane:

https://pastebin.com/Nzi7YQ7w

The only suspicious thing what I see is the following section:
>&"set disassembly-flavor att\n"
>&"No symbol \"disassembly\" in current context.\n"
>2117^error,msg="No symbol \"disassembly\" in current context."

Any help/hint about the further things to check would be highly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Miklos Marton