[Qt-creator] how can i use clang-cl with qt creator under Windows?

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Thu Mar 8 07:29:46 CET 2018

> On Mar 8, 2018, at 07:22, Eike Ziller <Eike.Ziller at qt.io> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 7, 2018, at 20:17, Dennis Luehring <dl.soluz at gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> my current setup is
>>
>> QtCreator 4.4.1 (or 4.5 if needed), Qbs, Qt 5.6x and Visual Studio 2015 as my C/C++ x64 Compiler
>>
>> my project can be compiled, linked, debugged - everything is working
>>
>> an after reading the news about google using clang-cl for building Chrome for the windows platform
>>
>> http://blog.llvm.org/2018/03/clang-is-now-used-to-build-chrome-for.html
>>
>> and want to give it a try - but how?
>>
>> i've installed the x86 and x64 build of clang-cl from http://llvm.org/builds/
>>
>> and QtCreator finds the x64 clang-cl unter Options/Tools/...
>>
>> Clang based on MSVC 2015 C++ - but nothing for the C compiler
>>
>> when i change the C++ compiler in my current used kit to the found clang
>>
>> it will fail finding cl.exe (its called clang-cl.exe) in the llvm folder when i start to compiler
>>
>> any ideas?
>
> Check if the qmake step in your build configuration includes “-spec win32-clang-msvc”. If not, then set “win32-clang-msvc” in the “Qt mkspec” setting for your kit and try again. I suppose Qt Creator might not do that automatically in your case.

And you need Qt 5.8 or later for that.

QMake defines in its “mkspecs” which compiler to use. That’s why the mkspec is important. Qt Creator tries to set the correct mkspec automatically for some common cases based on the compiler you set in the kit, but it can’t do it for all cases.

Qt 5.6 doesn’t have a mkspec for clang-cl, so you need to either create one yourself, copy one from somewhere else (they are usually not self-contained though), or use a Qt version which has one.

eike.ziller at qt.io
http://qt.io