[Qt-creator] GSoC 2018: New feature proposal for Qt Creator

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Mar 13 09:59:58 CET 2018

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 09:54, Sree Gowtham Josyula <sreegowthamj at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Orgad,
>
> I do not understand what you mean by a custom compiler. Is it some
> sort of a script on development machine which returns the same values
> as the remote compiler when queried with -v and -dM flags? What is its
> significance?

In Qt Creator settings (Build & Run > Compilers > Add > Custom) you can create a “custom” compiler, manually specifying ABI, predefined macros, system include paths etc.
Then you can set that as a compiler for the kit, to make code completion work with these values.

Br, Eike

>>> Network share would in a proper setup be the local disk of the compilation
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Also, one cannot copy locally the toolchain if the server is different OS,
>>> unless a cross compilation environment is setup, which in itself is a major
>>> piece of work.
>>

>> That's right. What we did was to create dummy compilers that return the same
>> values as the real compiler when called with -v and -dM etc. This is no
>> longer needed, as a "custom compiler" can be created instead.
>>
>> I suggest to read the values from the remote compiler, and create a local
>> custom compiler with the same values (except include directories which
>> should be adapted to the local sysroot location).
>>
>> - Orgad

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH