[Qt-creator] Odd behavior where Creator fails to find executable

Henry Skoglund fromqt at tungware.se
Thu May 17 02:15:30 CEST 2018

On 2018-05-16 20:38, Murphy, Sean wrote:

 > I'm experiencing an intermittent issue that I'm wondering if anyone
else is seeing, has an idea how to prevent, or can at least point me
towards something to help me provide more information for creating a bug
report?

 > The issue:
 > Periodically when I attempt to debug my program, Qt Creator throws up
an error message:
 >      Starting executable failed: C:\<big long path>\myApp.exe: No
such file or directory.

 > This is the second time this issue has occurred, it happened to me
once last week as well. Both times just closing the project and
reopening seems to restore the correct executable path, I just don't
know what is causing it to break in the first place. And either no one
else has reported this as a bug, or I'm not putting in the correct
search terms on bugreports.qt.io, because I'm not finding anything that
looks similar.

 > Using Qt Creator 4.6.0
 > Thanks in advance,

Hi, I'm seeing this as well on Qt Creator 4.6.1, only on Windows though
(i.e. not on MacOs or Linux).

Steps to reproduce:

In Qt Creator, switch to default session, select "Close All Projects and
Editors" in the File menu. Exit Qt Creator and launch it again.

Select "New File or Project" and choose the "Qt Console Application"
template. Click Next 4 times (i.e. accept the default for everything).

Run the Project (F5) one time (Debug or Release is immaterial).

Select New File or Project again. This time under "Files and Classes",
add a C++ Header File. Name is irrelevant. Click Finish to add the .h
file to your .pro file.

Don't edit the .h file, instead try to Run the Project (F5). Now, on my
Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, invariably I get:

Starting
C:\Projects\build-untitled-Desktop_Qt_5_10_1_MSVC2015_32bit-Debug\untitled.exe...
Executable
C:\Projects\build-untitled-Desktop_Qt_5_10_1_MSVC2015_32bit-Debug\untitled.exe
does not exist.

Exiting Qt Creator, erasing the build directory and relaunching Qt
Creator restores functionality, i.e. Run the Project (F5) then works.
But adding another dummy .h wrecks it again :-(

Rgrds Henry