[Qt-creator] Qt Creator plugin distribution - best practices and future plans

Davide Coppola vivaladav at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:47:14 CEST 2018

Hi,

I am about to release a plugin for Qt Creator and even if I have no problem
in releasing the source code, I would like to release binaries as well for
quick installing.

I have the impression that this is not an easy task as I should release a
different binary per Qt Creator version and that wouldn't even cover all
the combinations of application/compiler.

For example a friend tested my plugin with the Qt Creator package provided
by Arch Linux and it was crashing for him, likely because they build Qt
Creator with gcc 7 and I built the plugin with gcc 5.4.

Are they any best practices or "standard" ways to handle this?

Is there any plan from the Qt Creator developers to relax the version
parity requirement?
Ideally I would like to build a plugin for 4.6 and have it running with all
4.6.x versions at least, instead of having to build it for 4.6.0, 4.6.1,
etc...

I also noticed an abandoned Qt Creator plugin scripting project
<http://code.qt.io/cgit/playground/qt-creator/plugin-scripting.git/> in the
Qt repos. Any chance something like that will be restarted? Maybe using the
new/upcoming improved Python integration?

Cheers

--
*Davide Coppola*

*website:* http://www.davidecoppola.com