[Qt-creator] Deploying to "Embedded" Linux?

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 07:44:23 CET 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018, 21:21 Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com wrote:

> I read http://doc.qt.io/qtcreator/creator-deployment-embedded-linux.html
>
> I wish to use my Mac to deploy to a RaspberryPi. However I don't think
> this is supported. The Boot2Qt stuff at least does not support OSX (Only
> Windows & Linux are supported). I used a amazon linux server to build the
> boot2qt image. But for application development I don't want to tave to use
> linux, or a VM. I want to use my mac.
>
> In the web page above, it looks like it assumes the host is compiling and
> pushing the compiled image to the device. I was hoping there was a way to
> use Qt to copy the project to the device, and build it there, so that I
> don't need to mess with cross-compilers on my system?
> scp -r project/* pi at target:project
> ssh pi at target -c "cd project && qmake && make -j 4  && ./project"
>  (how to attach debugger?)

It's not a dumb idea, but it will not work too well:

Builds are slowed down by the constant copying, the code model has no
access to the headers and will break, jumping to errors will break, and
more.

Remote compilation has been a much requested feature. I would like to
implement that, but I see no realistic chance to do so anytime soon:-(

To do this cleanly creator would need to abstract away file access so that
we can redirect that to a VM/host/container/etc. That will be a very
invasive change, since creator always everywhere assumes that file access
is local.

Best Regards,
Togias

PS: Remote compilation has been done before by wrappers around qmake/make
to run the same command on a remote machine and mapping file paths in the
output back to the host. You also need to have the sysroot of the device
available in the device for the code model.