[Qt-creator] QtCreator Plugin Dependencies

Jochen Becher jochen_becher at gmx.de
Tue Oct 16 21:36:47 CEST 2018

Hi,

working on new features for ModelEditor I learned that some plugins
have bidirectional dependencies.

For example CppTools uses ProjectExplorer a lot but ProjectExplorer
uses CppTools only a little bit (for the two constants
CPP_SOURCE_MIMETYPE and CPP_HEADER_MIMETYPE). Moving these constant
definitions to some extra location or into ProjectExplorer would solve
this design flaw (at least I understand bidirectional plugin
dependencies as such).

What do you think about these kind of refactorings? How far would you
go to solve bidirectional dependencies, e.g. move code to a common
static lib or use an interface or signal/slots for dependency reversal?

Regards, Jochen