[Qt-creator] Dev: Qt Creator 4.8 feature freeze is approaching

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Sep 19 17:48:12 CEST 2018

I went to look online for what will be in Qt Creator 4.8, and didn't find anything. Well I did, but I saw a lot of old Qt 4.8 proper stuff. I'm wondering if versioning QtCreator to be the same as the Qt version it is built with is becoming a good idea? Qt 4.8 is still going strong in some communities. This does complicate versioning a little, as a release of Creator might come before (or after) a release of Qt. But they do seem to coincide quite often. ANd since Qt is built with the latest Qt, isn't it a 5.x anyway?

Just a thought.

Anyway, what's on the way for 4.8?
My own desires are:
 https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-20941 - Device status indicator (please?)
Nice to have:
 https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21022 - Standardize Qt Kit Names (for Qt Creator?) (got a lot of interest on 'interest' ml)
 https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-20445 - Process status icons on output panes

And for the love of whatever your favorite deity is, please stop injecting two " when there is a non-whitespace character to the right of where the quote will be. 'this|d' should not ever become 'this""d'! It is not helpful. Then when you backspace to get rid of ONE of the two, it gets rid of BOTH so you're back where you started. No other editor in existence behaves this way. I've lived with this for a decade now and it still trips me up! https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-20045