[Qt-creator] Downloading Kate Highlighter Definitions

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Mon Sep 24 08:52:16 CEST 2018

> On 21. Sep 2018, at 20:19, Jochen Becher <jochen_becher at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Downloading Kate Highlighter definitions fails for me in Qt Creator
> 4.7.0. I get an error dialog: "Error connection to server" / "Not
> possible to retrieve data.".
>
> I checked the URL that is used (at least what my source code from
> git/master says: "https://www.kate-editor.org/syntax/update-5.60.xml")
> and it seems to be fine.
>
> Known Issue?

My guess:
Since it’s trying to use https, Qt needs to find OpenSSL (on Lin/Win). Qt’s method for finding that is not failsafe (to say the least), and it also isn’t made easy with the various incompatible versions of it.
I think Help > System Information from Qt Creator’s menu should show you some information about if and what SSL library is found.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH