[Qt-creator] Downloading Kate Highlighter Definitions

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Sep 25 08:58:41 CEST 2018

> On Sep 24, 2018, at 20:12, Jochen Becher <jochen_becher at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> QtCreator says "SSL is not supported". But I have packages libssl1.0.0,
> libssl1.1 and openssl installed on Ubuntu 18.04. Anything I miss?

As far as I remember the issue basically boils down to:
If Qt doesn’t find the _exact_ versions of libssl/crypto that Qt was compiled against (includes patch level), it first tries to find libssl/crypto without any version number in the file name, and then it loads the highest libssl/crypto that is on the system, even if Qt was compiled against 1.0 and 1.0 is installed on the system.

Code is in http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/tree/src/network/ssl/qsslsocket_openssl_symbols.cpp#n748 (loadOpenSsl)
A workaround for you could be to create symlinks libssl.so / libcrypto.so to your 1.0 libs.

> Why doesn't Qt or QtCreator deliver their own packages if finding a
> system install is difficult?

It is not really that difficult, it is just broken in Qt ;) https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-68971
Qt could also just try loading all libraries in order newest to oldest, and just take whatever succeeds loading…

When we start shipping OpenSSL we start being responsible for security issues in it.

But what we should do is better reporting to the user, and possibly asking the user if we should fall back to trying http in that case.

Br, Eike

eike.ziller at qt.io
http://qt.io