[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 4.11 frequently becomes non-responsive

Adam Light aclight at gmail.com
Sun Dec 22 02:06:21 CET 2019

On Sat, Dec 21, 2019 at 4:30 PM Dmitry Volosnykh <dmitry.volosnykh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Adam, there's somewhat similar issue filed in Jira:
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-23336
> Initially, it is focused on macOS, but maybe you will find your
> experiences the same, then the status of this issue might be changed to a
> wider scope.

Dmitry, thanks for the link, but I think that's a completely separate
problem. I'm actually not doing any debugging at all--I'm not even running
the application, just editing code and rebuilding.

Here is part of a stack trace I recorded. I clicked the X to close a single
file and Creator hung for 5 or more seconds. I was able to record a trace
the tail end of that hang, and here is the stack trace for the Creator
thread taking most of the time. The time column on the left is in seconds.

1.7382851   |- ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart
1.7382851   |    kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk
1.7382851   |    Qt5Core.dll!<PDB not found>
1.7382851   |    Qt5Core.dll!<PDB not found>
1.7382851   |   CppTools4.dll!Utils::Internal::AsyncJob<void,void
(__cdecl&)(QFutureInterface<void> &
__ptr64,QSharedPointer<CppTools::BaseEditorDocumentParser>,CppTools::BaseEditorDocumentParser::UpdateParams),QSharedPointer<CppTools::BaseEditorDocumentParser>,CppTools::BaseEditorDocumentParser::UpdateParams
const & __ptr64>::run
1.7382851   |
 CppTools4.dll!CppTools::BaseEditorDocumentProcessor::runParser
1.7372606   |    |- CppTools4.dll!CppTools::BaseEditorDocumentParser::update
1.7372606   |    |
 CppTools4.dll!CppTools::BuiltinEditorDocumentParser::updateImpl
1.7176022   |    |    |-
CppTools4.dll!CppTools::Internal::CppSourceProcessor::run
1.7176022   |    |    |
 CppTools4.dll!CppTools::Internal::CppSourceProcessor::sourceNeeded
1.7176022   |    |    |    CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::run
1.7176022   |    |    |
 CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::preprocess
1.7176022   |    |    |    CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::lex
1.7176022   |    |    |
 CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::handlePreprocessorDirective
1.7176022   |    |    |
 CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::handleIncludeDirective
1.7176022   |    |    |
 CppTools4.dll!CppTools::Internal::CppSourceProcessor::sourceNeeded
1.7176022   |    |    |    CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::run
1.7176022   |    |    |
 CPlusPlus4.dll!CPlusPlus::Preprocessor::preprocess

The trace above was with the clang code model disabled. I see similar stack
traces during the times that Creator hangs if I enable the clang code model
(and restart Creator), though when the clang code model is enabled I do see
Creator using many threads at a time, and all of them have a stack trace
similar to the above.

A colleague of mine, also on Windows 10, has been complaining about Creator
being unusable for at least the past month. He's using 4.10.2. I think what
I'm seeing here is consistent with what he describes. But for some reason
I'm not seeing this behavior on my main Windows 10 development machine,
also running Creator 4.10. We're all using the exact same project,
compiler, and build of Qt 5.12 on these three machines, so it's unclear to
me why I'm not seeing this problem on my main development machine. I'll
need to carefully compare my Creator settings next week to see if I can
figure out something.

Adam