[Qt-creator] Clang code model issues

Nikolai Kosjar Nikolai.Kosjar at qt.io
Fri Feb 8 12:02:14 CET 2019

Hi!

I've started to write inline comments (see below), but it got quite
confusing. Here is the summary.

I see these main issues from all your references:

1) Several parse issues on or related to Windows.
   ==> We've changed the internal clang command line and this might fix
some issues related to parsing. At least it fixed several things on
Linux, like parsing some boost headers or parsing with _GNU_SOURCE. The
best you can do now is to provide feedback to the reports with current
4.9 snapshots. Qt Creator 4.9 release is scheduled for start of April.

2) Parse issues related to _GNU_SOURCE.
    ==> Fixed in Qt Creator 4.9.

3) Generic project and the inability to specify extra flags like
language version.
    ==> Fixed in Qt Creator 4.9.

4) For a problematic #include, following #includes are not considered.
    ==> I will look into it.

Nikolai

On 2/8/19 9:11 AM, Julius Bullinger wrote:
> Hi, >
> it seems like there are more and more complains about the recent clang
> model model changes:
>
> Mailing list threads (cannot link, since the archive was broken):
>
> * "Clang-Tidy and Clazy analyzer using '-D__cplusplus=199711L'" from
> August 2018

Generic project. Qt Creator 4.9 allows to specify language version and
other flags.

> * "Clang code model running in C++98 mode" from November 2018
> (Disclaimer: started by myself)

That's your QTCREATORBUG-21765 from below (double).

> * "Clang processes not being stopped when killing a compile" from
> January 2019

That's not related to the Clang Code Model.

> * "Qt creator + Clang model = major annoyance" from January 2019

There are multiple issues raised there...

> Bug reports:
>
> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21729 with several people
> being affected
> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21892

Possibly a regression in Clang. Will look into it.

> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21765 (disclaimer: filed
> by myself)
> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21764
> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21750
> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21734

> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21688

This is related to _GNU_SOURCE and seems to be resolved with 4.9.

> * https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-21685

The other reports I haven't commented on seem to be related to Windows.

> Blog post comments:
>
> *
> https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/12/06/qt-creator-4-8-0-released/#comment-1206951

Again the _GNU_SOURCE issue, same as QTCREATORBUG-21688 from above (double).

> *
> https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/12/06/qt-creator-4-8-0-released/#comment-1206998

Two issues are mentioned:
* The QTCREATORBUG-21892 from the list above in which I will look into
(double).
* Generic project and extra flags again, should be fine with Qt Creator 4.9.

> *
> https://blog.qt.io/blog/2018/12/06/qt-creator-4-8-0-released/#comment-1207042

> Some of them are said to be fixed in Creator 4.9, but I cannot confirm
> that.

Re-open the corresponding reports and provide more information if
necessary or create a separate report if your issue is different.

> It seems like there's major problems with bigger projects, older
> compilers, external headers, and other "uncommon" configurations. That
> makes QtC currently barely usable in these circumstances.
>
> Is there a short-term plan for handling these issues?

Some issues are fixed with 4.9.

For others that are not easily reproducible feedback with current 4.9 is
needed (or more information how to reproduce in the first place, like
QTCREATORBUG-21729).

> And additionally,
> could automatic testing be expanded to catch these early in the future?

I'll check.