[Qt-creator] RFC: Dropping support for Python 2.x for GDB/LLDB

André Pönitz Andre.Poenitz at qt.io
Tue Feb 26 16:20:21 CET 2019

Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 at 23:26, Alexandru Croitor <alexandru.croitor at qt.io> wrote:
> >
> > Afaik all macOS versions so far, link against and use the system Python 2.7.x in lldb.
> >
> > In which case I assume that the dumper script and friends have to stay 2.7.x compatible.
>
> Python 2.7 will not be maintained past 2020.
> https://pythonclock.org
> You have 0 Years 10 Months 4 Days 22 Hours 57 Minutes and 53 Seconds,Huh?
>
> Please update your computer/OS and stop holding us back.

Nobody is holding "us" back here.

It was an open question to get an overview on which systems people use
debuggers that use Python 2.7.

Quite a few have been identified now, enough to warrant to *not* drop 2.7 anytime
soon.  Thanks for anyone providing data points, especially the ones in private mail.

As I wrote in the opening question, supporting both 2.7 and 3.x works for me.
I am not  going to force anyone to update anything just because some "time is up".
Valid reasons to drop support in this context are only "nobody really uses it" or
"too much pain to maintain".  Neither is given here.

Andre'