[Qt-creator] Deep TabNine

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Jul 30 11:20:56 CEST 2019

"Deep TabNine is trained on around 2 million files from GitHub.”

Hm, hopefully this is only from high-quality projects, so the AI also has learned to write _good_ code ;)

Anyhow, if it is a language server it might “just work”. (After registering it in Qt Creator etc).
At the moment you cannot use a language server _and_ use the specialized editor for a language in Qt Creator though.
I.e. you cannot use the specialized “C++ Editor” and a C++ language server simultaneously, the special editor wins.
A workaround would be to set the default editor for that language to the “Plain Text Editor” (which uses the generic highlighting through KSyntaxHighlighting).

So, a possible setup for trying this could be:

- Register the language server for C++ in Options > Language Client
- Make sure you have C++ highlighting through the generic highlighter via Options > Text Editor > Generic Highlighter > Update Definitions
- Make Qt Creator open C++ files in the plain text editor via Options > Environment > MIME Types, find the C++ MIME types and change “Handler” to “Plain Text Editor”

And possibly use a Qt Creator 4.10 snapshot, since there were lots of improvements for the language client.

Have fun ;)
Eike

> On 29. Jul 2019, at 21:42, Ariel Molina <ariel at edis.mx> wrote:
>
> There are lots of boilerplate code all over any codebase. Any code helper is really useful,
>
> Ariel
>
> On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 11:23 AM Jason H <jhihn at gmx.com> wrote:
> Isn't that what any code completer is fundamentally?
>
> > Sent: Monday, July 29, 2019 at 11:15 AM
> > From: "Marco Bubke" <Marco.Bubke at qt.io>
> > To: "Jason H" <jhihn at gmx.com>, qt-creator <qt-creator at qt-project.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Qt-creator] Deep TabNine
> >
> > Looks a little bit like copy 'n paste programming on steroids. ;-)
> >
> > On 29/07/2019 17:02, Jason H wrote:
> > > Slashdot is running a sotrry bout an AI-powered editor extension Deep TabNine. https://tabnine.com/blog/deep
> > > This seems to work via the language server protocol. IT pposts Python and C++ (and others)
> > >
> > > What would it take to hook this up to Qt-Creator?

> --
> Ariel Molina R.
>
> Oficina: +52 (222) 574 7113
> Movil:   +521 2226 758874