[Qt-creator] Can't debug on Mojave with QT Creator 4.9.1

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Fri May 31 12:00:35 CEST 2019

> On 31. May 2019, at 08:37, André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 03:12:48PM -0700, Simon Gornall via Qt-creator wrote:
>>
>> I can't seem to get the debugger to start on my Mac, installed using the Mac installer (open
>> source version), when I do click on Debug, it launches a terminal window, which then contains:
>>
>> Last login: Thu May 30 12:46:31 on ttys019 source
>> /var/folders/ll/jqpkccpn1m91qf41447mdlyh0000gn/T/tmpXAK2Pt simon% source
>> /var/folders/ll/jqpkccpn1m91qf41447mdlyh0000gn/T/tmpXAK2Pt Badly placed ()'s.
>
> What is in this script and who calls that?

It is generated by Qt Creator’s openTerminal.py
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/tree/share/qtcreator/scripts/openTerminal.py

We have to do some fancy stuff to get the run environment passed into the shell opened in Terminal.app by “Run in Terminal”.
Only tested with bash...

>> simon% If I edit that script (/var/folders/...) it seems to be a bash script, and my shell is
>> set to /bin/tcsh (for a variety of reasons). Is there some place I can set my shell variant in
>> QT Creator, and have Qt Creator write out something my shell will accept ?
>>
>> I already tried
>>
>> exec'ing /bin/bash before launching QT Creator from the commandline setting the environment
>> SHELL variable to /bin/bash launching the last line in the script (which seems to be what is
>> actually necessary) from the terminal window.  ... but no joy. Any other ideas ?

The problem is that the script is sourced in a new Terminal window, which first of all itself starts a shell. That uses the login shell as specified in the user’s login options. The SHELL variable from Qt Creator’s run configuration is not yet set at that moment - actually that is what the sourced script is doing.

> Do you need the terminal at all? If not try to de-select  [ ] Run in Terminal  in the Project settings
>
> Andre'

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH