[Qt-creator] QtC 4.10 gets highlighted by antivirus software

Tobias Hunger tobias.hunger at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:49:22 CEST 2019

On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 10:37 AM Richard Weickelt <richard at weickelt.de> wrote:
> We have observed similar issues at work multiple times and the options were usually:
>
> 1. Try to find the offending pattern in the file, try to avoid it by compiling with different settings, modifying the source code, or if it is a text file, try to modify the content somehow.
> 2. Contact the antivirus vendor and request an exemption.
> 3. Ignore the problem and wait until users contact the antivirus vendor.
>
> Reading the comments in https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-18701 which was not even evaluated I assume, the Qt Company usually chooses option 3.

There are dozens of anti virus engines out there with even more
databases driving them. You change something to avoid misdetection in
one AV and another one starts to raise an alarm.

So 1 is out, it is one huge game of whack-a-mole that only works when
you only have one or two AVs that you need to care for. Qt Creator
users use a ton of different AV solutions.

I have tried to contact AV vendors a couple of times before: Each
vendor has its own process which is hard to find and those processes
usually lead nowhere since I can not provide a serial number or
receipt or something to proof that I actually bought the product I
want to get fixed.

So 2 is out, too.

That leaves option 3 only:-/ Yes, I do not like that either.

Best Regards,
Tobias