[Qt-creator] RFC: Dropping support for Python 2.x for GDB/LLDB #2

Alexandru Croitor alexandru.croitor at qt.io
Thu Feb 27 13:12:08 CET 2020

> On 27. Feb 2020, at 12:22, Eike Ziller <Eike.Ziller at qt.io> wrote:

>>> Our binaries are built with Qt 5.14.1, and therefore support macOS 10.13.
>>> You still _can_ build Qt Creator yourself with Qt 5.11.

>>> Enough when the minimum is 10.14, right?
>>
>> Why 10.14? Did 10.14 already uses Python 3 for lldb?
>
> All versions of Xcode 11 so far are supported on macOS 10.14, if Wikipedia is correct.
>
> I would have assumed that this is bound to the Xcode version, not the macOS version.

It looks like you're right about Xcode 11 lldb, it loads a bundle Python framework

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.7/Python3
/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Library/Frameworks/Python3.framework/Versions/3.7/lib/python3.7/lib-dynload/_heapq.cpython-37m-darwin.so

whereas for Xcode 10 on 10.14, lldb loads system Python libraries from

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload/_ctypes.so, etc

So 10.14 + Xcode 11 + latest Creator (no Py2) = debugging works
So 10.14 + Xcode 10 + latest Creator (no Py2) = debugging broken

I guess because we always ask for latest Xcode on a certain macOS version when using Qt,
10.14 would be a fair point to drop Py2 support from the macOS perspective.

Of course there's still other feedback.