[Qt-creator] [External] Re: Bumping minimum Qt version needed to build Qt Creator to Qt 5.14

Toralf Lund toralf.lund at pgs.com
Wed Jun 10 09:38:42 CEST 2020

On 09/06/2020 09:06, Eike Ziller wrote:

>> On Jun 9, 2020, at 07:09, Orgad Shaneh <orgads at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 7:02 AM André Pönitz <apoenitz at t-online.de> wrote:
>> Short version:
>>
>> We'd like to bump the minimum Qt version needed to build Qt Creator itself
>> to Qt 5.14 starting with the upcoming Qt Creator 4.13 (the current 'master'
>> branch in the repo)
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Debian sid still ships 5.12.5. Qt 5.14 is currently in the experimental repository.
>>
>> Same goes for Ubuntu. 20.04 ships 5.12.8, and 5.14 is available only on 20.10.
>>
>> I'd rather wait for 5.14 to land on the major distributions before raising the required version.
>>
>> - Orgad
> The released Ubuntu and Debian distributions usually do not upgrade Qt Creator. Looks like Debian even ships a pretty outdated Qt 5.12...
> So the affected group would be people who build Qt Creator themselves.
> IMO it is not a big issue to require a newer Qt version for that?

Well, if the distributions don't upgrade Qt Creator, you *have to* built
it yourself if you want an updated version.

This is straight forward if can use the Qt version shipped with the
distribution. If you also have to replace that, it can easily become a
major hassle.

So yes, it is a big issue.

- Toralf