[Qt-creator] Clang-Tidy Integration Decision (4.10 & 4.12 usability)

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Tue Mar 31 08:40:37 CEST 2020

> On Mar 25, 2020, at 19:05, Michael Jackson <mike.jackson at bluequartz.net> wrote:
>
> True, there is a conversation there but I think both the Creator devs and the community need to have conversation about the future of the clang-tidy integration.
>
> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-23348 reported the issue. It was marked as "won't fix".

4.12 will have the have the “Analyze Current File” action at least in the editor context menu and in Tools > C++.
I’d also like a button in the tool bar, which needs a bit more fiddling (because of plugin dependencies).

> https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-23349 reports the lack of text markers in the editor. So far this is still left open even though we are in the RC part of 4.12 which means we are left with another half-baked release of QtCreator. So how long do we have to wait to actually get the same usability that we had back in 4.10? 6 months, 1 year or never?

> Was there a large amount of feedback stating that the markup in the editor was an issue?

Not the annotations in the editor per se, but the automatic running was one of the biggest reasons for complains about the Clang code model being slow.
Marking the results of the separate action in the editor should be possible in principle nevertheless, and afaik it is the plan to do that.

Br, Eike

> --
> Mike Jackson
>
> On 3/25/20, 11:36 AM, "Qt-creator on behalf of Marco Bubke" <qt-creator-bounces at qt-project.org on behalf of marco.bubke at qt.io> wrote:
>
>    Hi Michael
>
>    There is already a bug report:
>    https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-23349
>
>    So there is in my opinion no need to start a email thread too. ;-)
>
>    Best, Marco
>
>    On 25/03/2020 16:28, Michael Jackson wrote:
>> Back in the QtCreator 4.10 days there was "automatic" clang-tidy/clazy integration. The downside was that opening a source file would cause a lag (sometimes long depending on the age of the computer) to get the method/function list and code navigation to show up. The upside is that the annotations were marked in the editor along the right side and also in the scroll well area. They were easy to see with the human eye and hard to miss. BUT QtCreator 4.10 had a big bad issue on macOS Catalina with the latest Xcode, debugging  caused the CPU to burn 100% even when sitting at a break point.
>>
>> Then we jumped to QtCreator 4.12 RC/Beta and now the debugging issue is solved BUT now clang-tidy doesn't run automatically anymore. When I searched out how to get it to run I have to run it manually (ok, maybe a fair trade off) but the annotations are effectively "hidden" now down the left side of the editor marked by a little triangle icon. There doesn't seem to be a way to go back to old style of putting them on the rig

Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

The Qt Company GmbH
Erich-Thilo-Straße 10