[Qt-creator] Adding kits to Qt Creator in a more noob-friendly way

Henry Skoglund henry at tungware.se
Mon May 11 01:52:15 CEST 2020

Hi, finally took the plunge this weekend and started building Qt myself
(MinGW static builds for Windows).
Using configure.bat worked fine, it even suggested I should add "-opengl
desktop" otherwise "... the build might fail." Helpful stuff.

So I ended up with a fresh new directory "static", next to the
C:\Qt\5.14.2\mingw73_32 directory. Question was, how to add the static
build as a kit to my Qt Creator? Googling helped, and it was smooth
sailing once I realized you go into Options/Kits/Qt Versions and point
out where kit's qmake.exe is (e.g. C:\Qt\5.14.2\static\bin\qmake.exe).
Enter a few more things and voila, I had a valid bona fide kit and could
rebuild my projects into static .exe files.

Got me thinking, adding kits to Qt Creator will be something I have to
do quite often (at least once for every new Qt release). Ok it's easy
once you know how. But what if there was an easier way? Say at the end
of "mingw32-make install" it would create a .kit file (similar to a .pro
file) that has all the needed info for Qt Creator to add it
automagically, e.g. for my build Qt Creator would use a "static.kit"
file for adding (or replacing if there's already a kit named "static").

This of course would mean that Qt Creator has to understand the contents
of a .kit file (and for configure to write it correctly). And someone
has to specify the contents of such files. But I think it would really
be a nice Qt Creator feature, especially for that first time you have a
successful Qt build and want to try it ou as a kit.

Rgrds Henry