[Qt-creator] Shortcut CTRL-Left in Design view does not work after adding copyright notices to .ui files

Robert Hairgrove code at roberthairgrove.com
Mon Nov 30 14:43:35 CET 2020

I am using Qt Creator 4.12.2 on Linux Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

When editing a UI form in Designer view, I can normally return to the
last source file edited in Edit view and not have the XML representation
of the UI file presented to me in an editor with the warning "This file
can only be edited in design view", etc. by pressing the CTRL+Left Arrow
key. This is very convenient when setting up signals and slots.

According to the XML Schema for .ui files shown in the documentation for
Qt 5, it is possible to add a <comment> element under the <ui> element
in the file which can be used to include copyright notices, etc.
However, after adding the <comment> element, the shortcut described
above does not work anymore, and I have to manually quit the UI file.

Is this a known bug?

It would be nice if it were possible to add such comment elements
directly in Designer and not have to edit the file outside of Qt
Creator. I didn't see any other way to do this, though. Is there a way?