[Qt-creator] test discovery

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Wed Jan 6 08:33:11 CET 2021

> On Jan 5, 2021, at 19:31, Alessandro Portale <Alessandro.Portale at qt.io> wrote:

Yes - and no.

Qt Creator doesn’t provide source or binary compatibility between minor versions, so a plugin that was written for 4.15 has high chances not to compile without adaptations for 4.14. That would even be the case if Qt Creator provided backward source compatibility, since a plugin for 4.15 can still use API that didn’t exist in 4.14. Backporting never is a guaranteed thing.

And note that “support for ctest” is not a separate plugin - it is an update to an existing plugin (AutoTest), which makes incompatibility between Qt Creator versions even more probable. Also the AutoTest plugin is part of the regular Qt Creator source bundle and from the buildsystem point of view not made to be compiled separately from the rest of Qt Creator.

Br, Eike

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer