[Qt-creator] Switching to more "semantic" versioning scheme

Jason H jhihn at gmx.com
Wed Mar 24 15:18:26 CET 2021

> Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 at 5:05 AM
> From: "Eike Ziller" <Eike.Ziller at qt.io>
> To: "qt-creator" <qt-creator at qt-project.org>
> Subject: [Qt-creator] Switching to more "semantic" versioning scheme
>
> We want to switch Qt Creator to semantic versioning, which means bumping the major version for each feature release, since we don’t keep binary compatibility between these.
>
> - Next release after 4.15 is Qt Creator 5.
> - Followed by Qt Creator 6 in December 2021.
> - Qt Creator 7 in spring 2022
> - and so on.

Though I understand the reasoning, I think this would be confusing.
Qt Creator has definite impact on Qt code, w.r.t. parsing. I'm thinking of how many
releases it took QtC to support QML Enums. I think a more meaningful system would
be to version it with the Qt build version, with the Z (x.y.z) being the
Qt Creator release with Qt version x.y.

Examples:
Qt Creator 5.15.4 (5th release based on Qt 5.15.2)
Qt Creator 6.0.1. (2nd release based on 6.0)

Compared to:
Qt Creator 7 in 2022,
Qt Creator 9 in 2023,
Qt Creator 13 in 2025,
Qt Creator 23 in 2030.
Qt Creator 33 in 2040.

Or maybe no one cares about the QtCreator Qt built-with version? And maybe I shouldn't care either?
I just always wonder "What is an appropriate version of QtC to be using with Qt x.y?"