[Qt-creator] Switching to more "semantic" versioning scheme

Eike Ziller Eike.Ziller at qt.io
Thu Mar 25 11:48:02 CET 2021

> On Mar 25, 2021, at 09:25, Dmitriy Purgin <dpurgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> have you considered a date-based versioning scheme? It would have practically the same features as the proposed one, but additionally carries the information how old a particular Qt Creator version is.

Yes that was another option under discussion. See also https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTCREATORBUG-25486 .
A date-based versioning scheme does not carry any information about compatibility (not more than we already had, at least). Granted, that is only relevant to a minority of plugin developers. Another reason is that Qt Creator would be the odd one with date-based versioning in the Qt Project realm. Changing Qt Creator to actual semantic versioning is basically bringing Qt Creator to the same versioning _scheme_.

Br, Eike

eike.ziller at qt.io
http://qt.io